Rotating Mass Media is currently accepting applications for the position of online editor. This individual will be responsible for operating, managing, maintaining and developing RMM’s digital properties, including the websites of Dirt Rag and Bicycle Times, as well as auxiliary sites and services.
The online editor will work closely with the editorial team to execute existing content strategies and develop new approaches. The online editor will also work with the Publisher to improve monetization of digital assets. Essentially, we’re looking for someone to push RMM’s digital offerings into the future. Familiarity with RMM’s titles and history is essential, as is an interest in diverse aspects of cycling—from cargo bikes to mountain bikes.
This is a full time position with benefits, including health care and a 401(k) retirement plan. RMM offers a results-based work environment with a flexible schedule and unlimited vacation. Relocation will not be necessary.
- Solicit, curate, edit and facilitate content from RMM staff and freelance contributors.
- Write and edit content for RMM properties, print and digital.
- Assist with proofreading RMM print products.
- Manage all RMM digital assets.
- Test products and write reviews for print and digital.
- Maintain relevant digital presence by continually evolving RMM digital offerings.
- Work with Publisher and Advertising Sales Manager to improve monetization of RMM digital assets.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and editorial meeting virtually or in person.
- Create and send weekly newsletters.
- Report website traffic to staff.
- Manage promotional contests.
- Maintain schedule of posts for RMM websites.
- Maintain RMM social media accounts.
- Ensure top-notch website service to our readers.
- Attend media events on behalf of RMM.
- Attend industry events and trade shows such as Sea Otter, Crankworx and Interbike.
- At least two years in a media or communications position
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Working knowledge of web development, content management systems and social media.
- A passion for cycling and familiarity with all types of cycling.
- Experience within the bike industry is a plus but not required.
- Photography and video experience a plus
How to get this job
- Know the ins and outs of bicycle geekery—from discussing European-style bike infrastructure to who is winning World Cup downhill races.
- Bring ace writing and editing skills to convince us you can publish to the web without a copy editor.
- Show us how you can help us improve our digital products. Bring a plan for how to improve publishing in the internet age and how to expand our readership and revenue.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2015
Please email cover letter, resume, and portfolio samples to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Online Editor Application.”