Editorial Assistant – Dirt Rag
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Rotating Mass Media is currently soliciting applications for the position of Editorial Assistant. This individual will be responsible in assisting with managing online content, copy editing, assisting with administrative tasks including the Dirt Rag website, Dirt Rag magazine, as well as auxiliary sites and services.
The Editorial Assistant will work closely with the editorial team to execute existing content strategies and develop new approaches. Familiarity with RMM’s titles and history is essential, as is an interest in diverse aspects of cycling—from cargo bikes to mountain bikes.
This is a full-time position with benefits, including health care and a 401(k) retirement plan. RMM offers a results-based work environment with a flexible schedule. Regular office hours are not a must, but regular appearances at the office are a must.
- Solicit website content from staff, contributors, press releases and potentially more
- Edit and proofread content for print and online outlets
- Opportunity to create unique content for website and print magazine
- Test products and write reviews
- Assist with growing audience by continually evolving online offerings
- Assist with product wrangling of incoming product
- Attend weekly staff and editorial meetings
- Proofread any incoming content
- Track and report website traffic to staff
- Maintain schedule of posts for RMM websites
- Ensure top-notch website service to our readers
- Attend industry and media events multiple times per year
- Attend and support Dirt Fest PA and WV and other RMM-owned events
Experience and Skills
- Experience in a media or communications position or equivalent preferred
- Copy Editing skills
- A passion for cycling
- Editing and proofing experience
- Proficiency in WordPress, Wix, DFP, Google Analytics, Google Drive, Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, Survey Monkey
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work independently and in small groups/partnerships
- Effective communicator
- Organization and problem-solving skills
RMM is a small business that rallies together to get things done. Sometimes ad hoc tasks come up that are not listed on the job description, from menial tasks to planning for the future of the business. The willingness to raise a hand to help with tasks such as these is what keeps us going after almost three decades of publishing.
This job located at the RMM headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Application Deadline: Friday, October 29, 2018
Please email cover letter, resume and writing samples to email@example.com using the subject line “Editorial Assistant Application.”
Freelance Contributors – Editorial & Photography
If you are interested in working on a freelance basis, feel free to get in touch with the respective editor:
Dirt Rag Editorial: Carolyne Whelan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Photography and Art: Stephen Haynes, email@example.com